Brandon, thinking he was 10 years younger, decided to play steal the flag with some of the young men in our ward in November (he had just been called to YM). In the process, he took one for the team, sacrificing his right pec diving after the fastest runner (he tore his pectoralis major right off the bone). He finally decided to go see a doctor and had surgery to re-attach his pec to the bone (OUCH!!). His surgery was March 19. Here are the details:
Grannie Tannie flew out the day before and stayed for the whole weekend.WE COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT HER!!
She took care of the kids for 11 hours that day and helped care for all of us (and cooked all meals) for a few days! She even had all 3 on her own while I went to school that weekend.
What would we do without moms?
Thanks, Grannie!
Here are the "Before" photos:


Now that only half of his chest is shaved, we have begun the experiment to see if hair does grow back thicker after being shaved!The procedure was supposed to last 1 1/2 hours. It turned into 3 hours! I was getting a little nervous that something had gone wrong! The surgery took so long because his muscle had scarred onto another muscle (since it had been so long) and it took the surgeon 45 minutes just to get it loose! The residents had some trouble getting anchors into his bone and attaching the muscle, so the surgeon had to re-do that as well. As a result, he has 4 extra anchors in his bone! (more ouch!!)
Although the surgeon was not certain that the surgery would be successful, he was happily proven wrong. He said he was able to get good anchors and attach the muscle very well (he even tested it by strumming it like a guitar string)
We are thankful for all your prayers and faith, which we know made the surgery successful.
If you are not queasy yet, just take a look at the "After" photos!
With staples
2 weeks later--post staples
(yuck--part of it is still open! I could almost fit a dime in that hole!)
But don't worry--he got a cool sling, 2 stress balls, and great ice packs (not to mention a symmetrical chest again--ooooh la la). He is also getting a lot of attention from the kids!
Here they are having ice cream cones after FHE last night.
Although the surgeon was not certain that the surgery would be successful, he was happily proven wrong. He said he was able to get good anchors and attach the muscle very well (he even tested it by strumming it like a guitar string)
We are thankful for all your prayers and faith, which we know made the surgery successful.
If you are not queasy yet, just take a look at the "After" photos!
With staples
2 weeks later--post staples(yuck--part of it is still open! I could almost fit a dime in that hole!)
But don't worry--he got a cool sling, 2 stress balls, and great ice packs (not to mention a symmetrical chest again--ooooh la la). He is also getting a lot of attention from the kids!
Here they are having ice cream cones after FHE last night.


8 comments:
oh my gosh, Brandon! I don't know what it is with guys giving it their all--I don't think they ever realize they are getting older! Rob's the same stinkin' way! I'm glad it is all better now.
wow, ouch! How could you go around like that and not have it taken care of?
ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch!
BAH!! those pictures are so nasty. I had to show lindsey and we both say BAHUGH!! I'm sure you will enjoy the even pecs and the hairier chest (if that works).
Aw Brandon... Ouch. Hope that chest of yours feels better... Where are the pics of prego DeAnne? I want to see some!! :)
Man poor guy. That sounds miserable. I'm glad that it was successful.
My scar is bigger.
*snort*
I hope you heal up ok...and quickly!
We love and miss you guys!
Way to take one for the team!! Wow! That was a huge surgery! Way to be tough! Happy recovery Brandon!!
Post a Comment